Sunday, January 2, 2011

Constantly Leaving

I am sick of saying good-bye.

I had a great time over the holidays and I got to greet a lot of people that I had not seen for awhile. Quite soon however, these hellos became good-byes. When I was talking to people early in the holidays it was all about greetings because there was no immediate sign of us parting again. When our time began to run out the greetings became inseparable from the good-bye.

I should have anticipated this. The argument goes that separation fosters relationships as you gain perspective on these relationships and realise their value. I do have to say that I did find this somewhat accurate. Triumphant returns were all the more triumphant after this separation.

However, the benefits of these partings become completely hollow in the moment that they are occurring. If I have to keep saying good-bye to people then I will feel increasingly isolated. My relationships are becoming compartmentalised to certain times and certain places. I used to compartmentalise them myself. There is a luxury in blaming myself for that separation, but these days it is one enforced on me by situation.

That type of leaving is far more difficult to suffer.

-The English Student

No comments: