Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Traditions

Two of my holiday traditions were very nearly lost this year.

The first is to be in a certain place at a certain time. The increasingly disruptive weather has threatened plans of this sort for thousands of people in dozens of countries. When I realised that this tradition was under threat my initial thought was not to panic. Other people realising that I may not be in that certain place at that certain time were far more unsettled about the idea. I understand this. But the reason that I was no panicking was because I knew that this was one day and that, symbolic though it was, it could be replaced by another with the same sentiments.

This tradition is in tact. The second tradition is under threat as I type this. Again, it involves me being in a certain place at a certain time and a friend of mine being in a certain place at a certain time. This is a younger tradition than the aforementioned one but it is observed on a yearly basis nonetheless. Another very unfortunate circumstance has seriously hampered our ability to fulfil this tradition. However, we are pursuing alternatives, knowing that it is not the specifics of the tradition that are important.

Holiday traditions are important. However, it is the emotions and reasons that have created them that are more important. The idea of a tradition is to recreate these original emotions and to show commitment to these emotions. While it is easy to identify these emotions with specific times and places that is not their basis. The thought really is what counts because it is the only thing that we truly have control over.

These traditions may well fall soon but so long as we observe their foundation their importance will be retained.

-The English Student

No comments: