Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Mini Modern Colony

Colonialism in a traditional sense is dead.

Colonialism in an economic and cultural sense is very much alive. What better way to enact the goals of colonialism - the subsummation of an area into your own - than the exportation of culture. What is more, the illusion that this culture is a choice for people and that they can ignore it if they decide to do so highlights the pervasive nature of this colonialism.

I have grafted a colony in a certain space that I sometimes occupy. It contains nationalist symbolism and cultural objects that paint it as a very certain cultural power within the lands of a counter-cultural power. However, this small 'colony' is less about controlling other people than controlling a certain space.

Herein lies the difference between these demonstrations of nationalism. I have a cultural relationship with these places and their influences manifest themselves in every aspect of my personality. I am not forcing cultural colonialism onto people, I am simply expressing that part of my cultural identity that is currently disconnected from its foundation.

These mini modern colonies are far more wholesome than the overarching cultural imperialism that affects them.

-The English Student

No comments: