Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Dull Buzzing

Something was wrong with the building that I work in.

I spend most of my life there so before I had even realised the problem, in my half-asleep state I knew that something was off. It was not long before I noticed the high concentration of wasp corpses strewn around various points in the building.

I overheard a conversation between an administrator and worker: they were aware of the problem and tending to it. They did not tend to it quick enough in my opinion. I could deal with insect bodies around the building and I could deal with the necessary noise required to solve the problem. What I struggled to deal with was the sound of wasps dying slowly all around me.

Coupled with the fact that my headphones stopped working over the week meant that I could either sit there and listen or leave. I did leave and thankfully the weather was fine enough to allow me to do some light work outside. When I returned however, the problem was not yet solved and the sound reverberated in my head.

The sound of slow death, a slow buzzing.

-The English Student

No comments: