Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shower Physiology

Surely the contemporary epiphany happens in the shower.

The moment that I step into the shower my entire body goes under a transformation. I only recently realised this transformation as the whole process of showering, the rushing water is a distraction. It is like a moment of transition. As the water hits me my body and mind sinks into a relaxation.

People frequently seem to realise the power of the shower for problem solving. Any kind of mental issue or problem that needs to be sorted out gains a completely new perspective in the shower. The aforementioned moment of transition necessarily gives a new light and affords new thinking patterns the room to work.

The other obvious benefit (apart from making us clean!) is that the shower is a place that work can rarely be done in. I once managed to do some study in the shower with a creative use of plastic pockets and tape but that is certainly not the norm. When there is no practical way to make progress on something we do not feel the usual pressure associated with it.

I may go for one right now actually.

-The English Student

No comments: