Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hobby Cartography

I have started to make some maps.

This new hobby began with a friend who has a similar issue with geography. We really do not have too good a grasp on this planet, it's countries or where exactly we live. I should point out that my geography is particularly poor and I am far more guilty than my friend.

So we began making maps. We made some by memory and my friend thoroughly showed up my ignorance. Embarrassed by my own, I have decided to work on a larger scale map and to use an atlas. This way I can actually learn where things are before having to make wild guesses.

This hobby cartography gives me a grasp on my environment, in the same way that following 'current events' gives me a grasp on what happens in my environment. These may very well be illusions but they are at least comforting illusions.

And they are illusions that allow me to spend time colouring nice pictures.

-The English Student

No comments: