Sunday, February 27, 2011

A General Election, Generally Speaking

I have viewed a recent election with an almost a-political perspective.

That previous sentence is nigh-on nonsense, yet what I mean is that my view of the election had less to do with party strategy, policy or even personality. In truth, I believed that each of these usual factors were almost completely hollow on the part of every candidate in the election. I did not see any major benefit in favouring any of the candidates. Not due to political apathy I should point out, more due to a sincere feeling of political futility.

This allowed me to view the election in a different light. I was hoping for a result that would be, as I saw it, "most democratic". This involved a hope for candidates of all different viewpoints that they would get a chance to gauge their opinions against the electorate and then, if appropriate, represent them on a national level for the country. To an extent, I believe that this has happened. There is more likely to be varying views expressed in this country's government.

The second main aspect that I looked at was voter turnout. Again, whatever the result, I felt that it was essential for this country's democracy to be as fully representable as possible. For whatever a political party may stand for, it is the people that give them the reins to power and it should therefore be the choice of all of the people. Apathy does seem to be shaking from the electorate.

These abstract issues being generally fulfilled, the next government of this country will therefore be a truer test of the democratic procedure.

-The English Student

No comments: