Saturday, December 29, 2007

Securalism - Personal Affairs

"The road to the sacred leads through the secular." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

Religion no longer seems to have a spiritual basis, but rather a societal one. Listening to a preacher at one's chosen place of worship takes second place to creating appearances of attention to fellow worshipers. Some people even take their hollow evangelisation to the streets.

I have been stopped many times in numerous cities in this country by people preaching their religion. I must wonder what religious tenet it is that absolutely requires random strangers (such as I am to these people) to share a belief system. Is it a competition to see which religion garners more support, thereby confirming it to be the "correct" one?

I for one refuse to validate the wavering beliefs of these seemingly confused people. Even if I was compelled to, I very much doubt that there is anything that could be said to rejuvenate one's waning spirituality. These people mistakenly seek an answer to their subjective doubts in objective realms.

I could post my own beliefs here, but what would be the point? I do not require societal approval for personal philosophies.

-The English Student

No comments: