Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dedication

Someone has decided to dedicate something to me.

This has upset me quite a bit. I do not mean to use "upset" in a necessarily negative context as it it obviously an honour, yet I certainly feel knocked by it. While I have offered the person different types of help, it was hardly a favour or anything out of the normal dynamic of our relationship. I gave her plenty of reasons why there was no need for such a dedication, all of which she combated in her wonderfully direct manner: "Bullshit".

Dedications are unusual things and I wonder why they never seemed like a big deal to me until I either had to write one or in a case like this where I am the subject of one. In this manner it really must be a completely personal thing that foregrounds an achievement and grounds it in the author's real life.

I am also glad that after some initial resistance, I relented to let her go through with this dedication. I severely struggle with taking compliments or viewing my actions as beneficial to my friends. This dedication implies that at times, with some generous and caring people I have made a strong connection.

I suppose that the realisation of all of this in one moment is reason enough to get upset.

-The English Student

No comments: