Sunday, July 17, 2011

Umbrella

I have never really considered myself an umbrella kind of person.

I would always have a hood on the coat that I was wearing when I thought it would rain or failing that, would just resign myself to getting wet. Umbrellas have obviously been in my psyche for my entire life, I just never considered them part of my direct experience.

Last week I ended up buying one out of frustration with unseasonable rain. It is definitely at the lower end of the umbrella spectrum and is liable to fall apart at any time now. That said, I have quite enjoyed its company the last few days. Holding it aloft feels like I am carrying some kind of shield that is light, flexible and as a side effect, keeps me dry.

The umbrella itself is such a standard symbol humanity. When I think of the icon in popular culture I'm drawn to My Neighbour Totoro, The Penguin from the Batman series, China Miélville's UnLunDun and even the name of the evil corporation in the Resident Evil games. They are one of those rare tools that have retained their usefulness since their creation and have silently covered the globe.

I suppose I do not have anything special to say about the item and instead am using this opportunity to address my previous negligence!

-The English Student

No comments: