Saturday, May 28, 2011

Teen Fiction: The Forest of Hands and Teeth

My research has lead me to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, teen fiction written by Carrie Ryan and I am quite enjoying it.

Granted, there are some tell-tale markers of teen fiction that I am struggling with. The use of personal pronouns can be a little overwhelming at times, with most sentences beginning with "I went", "I think", "I decided to" etc. and this can slow down the pace of the novel. There is also a tendency to over-explain things slightly.

However, the main difference that I expected, that of tone, is not nearly as pronounced as I anticipated. The novel does not condescend to the reader and in fact does quite the opposite. It takes it for granted that the reader will keep up with the pace of each ontological level.

It is this dynamic that gives power to teen fiction. By twinning the previously mentioned markers that force the reader to slow their pace a little with this trust, the novel achieves two feats. In the first place it is an appealing read with much depth. In the second, the teenage reader is drawn along in such a way as to improve their skills for dealing with narrative. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is an example of a novel that shows the way forward without seeming to force the reader down that path.

Teen fiction surely has its bright lights and Carrie Ryan should be considered amongst them.

-The English Student

No comments: