Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reprehensible and Impulsive

I did something very stupid at the start of this week.

It was almost completely impulsive and lead to many complications. I dealt with these complications badly and I believe that this is partially due to the fact that I am not usually an impulsive person. I acted impulsively, told myself that it did not really matter and attempted to ignore the ramifications of my actions. These actions did not seem like my own, so I was inclined to avoid their results.

Obviously this could not last. Or at least this is obvious when you consider that my impulsive action directly affected another person. It was absolutely reprehensible for me to go on pretending to myself that my actions had no consequences just because they were impulsive. An English student makes a living out of drawing massive conclusions and results from the smallest textual instance. In this case it was deplorable for me to try to pretend that I did not have this understanding.

Impulsiveness is fine, up until a point. As soon as actions start having direct consequences for other people they need rational meditation. There is one thing about small impulsive gestures or ones that have minimal consequences beyond the actor. It is quite another to create major headaches for people based on a whim.

This was not the first time that I did something unwise impulsively. I hope it is the last.

-The English Student

No comments: