Saturday, October 9, 2010

Re-rooting

Prepare for a tiring ecological metaphor.

At times I cannot help but wonder at my own position within the world. I have my home, routine, friends and family and this is what takes up the vast majority of my time. However, I have begun to wonder to what extent these things actually define me as a person. Effectively, they are the soil that my growing tree has nestled in.

This is not just an aimless conjecture and it is not a re-hashing of the nature/nurture debate. I want to know who I am and this seems to be constantly wrapped up in what I am doing and even more importantly, where I am doing it. I cannot pass through our capital city without making a judgement on a place or remembering a past experience I have had there. I will often bump into friends and associates in the city. I become defined by all of these places.

So this has to be a partial reason for my removal from my capital city to another capital. Being an ancient oak tree, set in the ground and immovable is actually a frightening prospect when you do not choose it. I do not hold any ill will to my previous soil and the prospect of returning there either temporarily or permanently is still a very attractive one.

However, for now I need to be like a potted cactus, taking some of that soil with me and yet being more open to change.

-The English Student

No comments: