Saturday, August 28, 2010

Peeling Pictures

My posters and photographs have begun to give in to the forces of gravity.

I do enjoy covering walls and wardrobes with art work. There is a certain method to decorating these spaces that requires a bit of thought and taste to get just right. These posters give real character to a room and effectively make use of walls as blank canvas. You can also change things whenever the mood takes you and reconfigure the whole feeling of a room.

Gravity has a tendency to do this too. I have not bothered changing around the art work on my walls in quite a few years and the various pieces of blu-tack, cellotape, paper clips and electrical tape are starting to wear down. Photographs are curling from the walls, posters have gone dusty and paintings are slipping.

I may have noticed this more acutely because, like these works of art I too shall be leaving soon. Being surrounded by a canvas that you have created yourself allows you to project your personality into a medium that all can view. So is it better to repair the wear on these areas for the next person to view and remember or should I take the art with me and create another shelter in another place?

In either case, gravity is relentless and eventually my canvas will be permanently empty.

-The English Student

No comments: