Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Guilt

Another Christmas approaches and a familiar sense of dread emerges.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to simply say that I hate the holiday season. It is billed as a time of joy when people can come together to celebrate and give thanks with family and friends. Indeed, in these more secular times this holiday is no longer just for the religious minded, but for everyone.

However, there are several reasons why I have never truly and consistently enjoyed Christmas. The music is nauseating, the decorations gaudy and the weather is bitterly cold. This is all in conjunction with the increasingly cynical nature of a market driven holiday. But these persistent annoyances can hardly be enough to drive me away from Christmas. In fact, these aspects have only become apparent to me recently.

But ever since I was young this holiday has caused me pain and frustration due to a feeling I call 'Christmas Guilt'. The idea of gift giving is all well and good, but I happen to be someone who has everything they could possibly want. I don't wake up hungry, nor do I go to sleep freezing cold and despite my many failings I have friends who stick by me. So how can I in good concsience demand anymore from those who give so much?

But they will keep asking me what I want for Christmas, so I must stay resolute in my response: I want nothing.



-The English Student

No comments: