Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Revenant

It is a dark scene on the streets of our capital city.

Any watcher in the area could see me now as I sprint through the rain-soaked streets. From the park I look to be a blur, rushing along the iron railings. A person in a passing car could notice my slight frame barreling towards the city centre. Eyes from the adjacent apartment block could see my steady trajectory through the storm. But this place is empty. There is no-one in the park, no passing cars and certainly no watching eyes.

There is, however, a mouth. I can just make it out now, moving around the corner ahead of me. Tall, hooded and dark, the bleak figure is running with an alarming pace. I cannot make out much in these conditions, only it's large mouth, split wide open in a silent scream and two enormous arms reaching out vertically above it. A solitary syllable comes to mind: "Run".

But where to run? The figures are quickly multiplying all around me, identical demons with shrouded faces. The street is now a swarm of these hooded creatures. I am surrounded by their horrid mouths that rend my soul to shreds in the unbroken silence. But one is now stepping forward. "You wanted pain. You wanted misery and hate. You even wanted death." These words whisper to my ear from that ghastly hole in the creature. The brief pause is again broken by the figure's guttural tone:

"We are what you desire."

-The English Student

No comments: