Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Brilliance of Top Gear

I have never seen cars to be anything more than tools for getting from one place to another. But BBCs' Top Gear is doing a good job of making me care.

While I had been learning to drive for a short period over the last year, it was not long before I took a break from my lessons. I felt that there was no real reason for me to get a license at this time as the public transport system in my area was adequete. Of course, coupled with this was my intense fear of the dangers inherent in driving.

As Top Gear goes into its' eleventh series, I have been wondering why it is I enjoy the show so much and yet still despise cars. The wit and banter of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May all contribute to my enjoyment of this BBC classic, but their personalities are not strong enough to defeat my natural aversion to their subject matter. The answer, I believe, lies in more subtle aspects of the show.

Often during Top Gear, a pre-recorded clip will be played wherein a car will be reviewed or a challenge will be addressed. The director of these shorts is an absolute genius. A huge variety of camera shots that include amazingly fresh angles are consistently used. In addition to this, very appropriate music from excellent musicians is used to great effect. This combination of visuals and audio are used in perfect symphony with each other and it is for this reason that I find great pleasure in the program.

The BBC would do well to make great use of talents such as the crew on Top Gear. "And with that bombshell", it is time for me to sign off for another week!

-The English Student

No comments: