Monday, January 23, 2012

Liquid Ban

Another day, another flight.

Even with my familiarity with airport restrictions I still managed to bring liquids up to security earlier today. Without giving it proper thought I just dumped them and moved on. But it has made me wonder about the liquid restrictions that are still in place since the 2006 liquid explosive scare.

If banning liquids is still necessary, surely criminals and terrorists have just moved on to solids. Presumably we will be banned from taking solids onto planes soon too. I do not mean to trivialise the threat posed by liquid explosives, I merely wonder how effective sure a ban is.

As with any other aspect of human life, if someone wants to cause trouble they will find a way. Predictably my conclusion has to be to educate and solve the roots of terrorism rather than blanket ban benign substances that can be used for any means.

Predictable yet still a lesson we need to implement.

-The English Student

No comments: