Saturday, November 19, 2011

Racking up the Air Miles

In my life I have flown very little.

However, this year I have probably travelled more than at any other point in my life. I take two flights again this week and have begun to realise that my carbon footprint is sneaking up. I enjoy this travelling, even if it means that I spend more time eating airport food and experiencing airport customer service than I would like.

However, I have also begun to wonder if getting used to spending time in transit is a good thing. It is hard, when travelling to escape the expectations upon arriving at a place. Focusing on the actual travel is boring and mundane and when you move around a lot, this looking ahead becomes a normal perspective.

Perhaps that truly is what colours my current existence: a relentless hope for the future and a wilful ignorance of the boring present. The travelling paradigm is a dangerous one when no clear destination is in sight and no clear markers to highlight when one has been reached.

All things to be aware of as I rack up more air miles.

-The English Student

No comments: