Sunday, June 12, 2011

Empty Proposals

It looks like I will be writing an application for something that I do not believe I will get.

This proposal is probably hollow in two main ways. In the first, there is such a minuscule chance that I will be successful that it is barely worth the effort of applying. It really is a case of throwing together an application so that I do not wonder 'what if' down the line. The reason my chances are so slim is in part that I have very little time to get a coherent proposal together and also for my lack of ability in the area. I do not believe I will be successful.

Secondly, even if I was successful I do not fully believe that I would be suited to what I am applying for. The temptation is to fudge the proposal so as to meet their needs more than mine and while doing so may increase the likelihood of success, it will only decrease my ability to perform in the still unlikely event of that success. I do not fully believe that it is the right path for me.

Thankfully, neither of these issues are actually too great. In this area it is all about mock confidence and convincing people through electronic formats that I am a more viable candidate than is actually accurate. I will need to put on my arrogant writing hat if the tiny chance of success is even to be approached.

I hope that my complete absence of confidence however, does not seep through the proposal.

-The English Student

No comments: