Saturday, July 3, 2010

Our Chancery Lane

I do enjoy my daily trip through the legal area of our capital city.

I only get glimpses of the area as I pass on my way into the city centre yet each glimpse seems to tell a story. Recently, the legal system has been split into separate areas in the city rather than the centralised system that was previously in place. As a result of this, I pass two areas of the legal system on my commute. Each of these areas seems to show the same two traits.

I meet the new court first on my commute. The building is a massive investment for the city, with huge glass façades and polished stonework. Upon its completion, the foot traffic around this area has grown exponentially. As an English Student I should not be so inclined to judge a book by its cover, however there does seem to be mainly two types of people surrounding the court. Many professional looking people with high class suits and robes frequent the area, most likely profitable lawyers and judges. The other group wears less expensive clothes, eat their breakfast on the street and are sometimes assaulted by photographers. So lawyers and criminals then, making each other more obvious by contrast and being forced to meet each other on the steps of the new court.

After passing this new area I go through the old court area. It is much quieter these days and is no longer assaulted by photographers. In fact, the only people really seen around these courts are people wearing long robes and ridiculous wigs. I began to wonder if the legal system had simply exported people that they did not enjoy dealing with to another area of the city. To grossly simplify the issue from the perspective of a bus, they tried to separate the lower class from their upper interests. This attempt seems to be a glorious failure however, as a small and secretive public house next door opens earlier than most laws allow, offering a place for the 'working class' to relax at almost any hour in the day.

Despite attempts to change the dynamic, the legal areas remain a self-perpetuating patchwork of rich, poor, law and disorder. While this institution may change area, fundamentally it will not change at all.

-The English Student

No comments: