Friday, October 23, 2009

Saying Goodbye to a Friend

While I expected to say goodbye to this friend soon, I did not expect to say goodbye to her today.

Intermittently since we took her in I had various thoughts of "we're going to have to say good-bye to her" at some stage. She joined us and she would always leave us. At times it would be natural to wonder why would we let ourselves face the tragedy of her inevitable departure by getting to know her in the first place.

But that theory implies that the fifteen years that we were cemented in union were not worth the depression that came from her departure. When I look back and remember any moment in her life I have to smile and laugh at her energy, audacity and charm. Any bad time that we had together and indeed, even this current bereavement is tempered by her supremely happy life. As time passes I know that these good times will fully blast away this malaise and a burning bright memory of her pure soul will remain.

I could try to describe these good memories or try to explain the basis of our relationship. But our friendship was one that was never based on words. There was an understanding between us that could never be summed up by language. I cannot articulate this connection and nor do I want to. For these memories are ours alone and would seem trivial to anyone else.

But I will say this, there was nothing trivial about our relationship. I loved her.

-The English Student

No comments: