Saturday, September 26, 2009

Observations of a Sick Person

I have an excellent track record in fending off sickness.

A blemish on this record appeared at the start of this week. After fighting off flu and sickness many times over the past few months my body finally succumbed and shut down for several days. Being sick is unusual for me and as such, I made some unusual observations while beset by this virus. When I was becoming sick I took it as an opportunity to have some down time, to try to relax and to take things easy. Of course, this is a nice point of view to have until you actually become sick and remember what it's like.

Memory was certainly one of the things that took a strange turn while I was sick. The different aromas and tastes of medicines reminded me of all the times I was sick as a child. Even just the feeling of being sick and bedridden brought back many memories of similar patterns in my life. While helping my long term memory, this sickness severely played havoc with my short term memory. Days blurred into a continuous stream, conversation became difficult and I quickly forgot the context of my life pre-sickness.

It is this life that stood out most in my illness induced observations. As mentioned before, this flu has been threatening me for months. There was a very good reason (several in fact) that I had managed to defeat it up to this point. I was mentally strong. When these situations reversed I became very susceptible to the sickness. The absence of my previous mental strength has been made poignant by this sickness.

Which brings me to my final sickly observation: some things are not as easily healed as the flu.

-The English Student

No comments: