Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sibling Rivalry

I had a pretty disturbing thought the other day: what if my siblings had been of the opposite gender?

A friend of mine was talking to her brother and I absently had a wish that I had one too. It seems like a common enough wish as there are inherent activities associated with siblings of each gender which you can supposedly miss out on. Video games are for brothers, doll houses for girls and that sort of thing.

My friend tried to comfort me that such thoughts were natural and maybe they are. However, I was still disgusted by this lapse as to claim that my siblings should be anything other than they are is both highly insulting and completely nonsensical. I have wonderful siblings and any change they could possibly make would be for the worse.

More than this, to claim that I missed out on any aspects of sibling activity due to their gender is also complete nonsense. The reason that I missed out on these activities with my siblings (and indeed, everyone else in my family) is because I have never put in the effort.

I can't blame chance for my neglect.

-The English Student

No comments: